(CGNS Documentation Home Page)
(Steering Committee Charter)
(Overview and Entry-Level Document)
(A User's Guide to CGNS)
(Standard Interface Data Structures)
(SIDS-to-ADF File Mapping Manual)
(SIDS-to-HDF File Mapping Manual)
(ADF User's Guide)
(CGNS Tools and Utilities)
CGNS Steering Committee
21 June 2000
The meeting was called to order at 7:30pm.
There were 12 attendees, listed below.
In additon, Armen Darian, Ray Cosner, Michel Delanaye and John Chawner
indicated that they would not be able to attend the meeting and sent
information to the Chair or an alternate.
The minutes of the 11 May 2000 telecon were approved as posted on
- Bob Bush reviewed the AIAA CFD Committee on Standards that
occurred on the previous evening. The bulk of the meeting was
spent discussing how to collect a database of CFD validation data,
and the requirements for such data. People with an interest or
potentially data to contribute should contact Ray Cosner.
- There was a brief discussion about the process for adding new
'official' members to the Steering Committee. It was agreed that
the Chairperson would solicit and collect nominations, and review
current member activity over the year in the fall. This information
will be used to develop a slate of proposed changes to the Steering
Committee that will be distributed via e-mail for review and
comment. Based on this feedback a slate will be developed for
discussion, potential modification and approval at the January
meeting at Reno.
- ISO Status - Doug McCarthy gave a brief review of the
effort to develop an ISO Standard for aerodynamic data based on
CGNS. Draft documents will be reviewed by members of the CGNS
Steering Committee in Seattle on 6-7 July, and are scheduled to
be put out for public review and comment in August. We will send
notice of where the proposed standards are posted to the extended
CGNS Steering Committee mailing list so interested parties may
review the proposals.
- Documentation - Bob Bush introduced Charlie Town (who could
not be present) who has agreed to serve as the Documentation
Focal Point. Charlie has created a new draft of the SIDS with all
extensions included. Bob Bush, Diane Poirier and Chris Rumsey are
reviewing the draft. The new version should be released some time
in July. There was also a request for Charlie to put together a
summary of the SIDS changes, for quick reference for implementers.
Chris Rumsey has agreed to draft a User's Guide Tutorial for
CGNS. This will be drafted and circulated for review, hopefully to
be finished by the end of the year.
Steve Legensky volunteered to take the lead on developing
an implementation paper, potentially for next summer's
conferences. The paper would summarize CGNS implementations in
various vendor/supplier codes, and demonstrate communication of
data across organizations.
In reviewing the SIDS, we noticed a nomenclature discrepancy
in the definition of 'mut' and 'nut'. We propose
changing the definition of 'ViscosityEddy' to mut,
and adding ViscosityEddyKinematic as the name for
nut. We have not found anyone who objects to changing the
standard in this way, so the SIDS will be changed. Hopefully this
will not cause compatibility issues for anyone.
- User Support - A plea for a volunteer to become the Support
Focal Point was made. The Support Focal Point would be the first
contact for users, answering questions and/or distributing them to
others for follow-up. Anyone interested in serving in such a role
please contact Bob Bush.
There was some discussion of developing web based user support,
groups and forums (potentially similar to 'Kiva talk' for
example). Don Roberts agreed to look into how Tecplot handles the
support role. The maintenance of such support could also be the
function of the Support Focal Point, should we be able to find one!
- Extensions - Diane Poirier gave an overview of the API and
SIDS extensions released this year.
Alpesh Patel provided a draft extension for hierarchical data
structures. After some discussion, Alpesh agreed to take the lead
on circulating the proposal for comment and revision. Interested
parties include: Jamil Appa, Bob Bush, Diane Poirier, Steve
Karman. We should also ask Fluent if they would like to comment
(Dave Schowalter is a good first contact).
Steve Legensky proposed a way to support hanging nodes. There
was much discussion on the need, and differentiating it from the
hierarchical data structures. This may generalize to how to handle
non-linear elements in CGNS. Steve agreed to have Intelligent
Light look into it further and draft a more formal proposal in the
- Schedule - A draft schedule was posted and discussed. The
amended schedule is shown below. Note that
the persons responsible for developing and circulating extensions
are listed. The development of the extension should proceed to the
point where it can be provided to the Documentation Focal Point for
inclusion in the documentation, and the Software Focal Point for
implementation in the API.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:30pm.